ADSM-L

large data migration with export node/ import node?

2002-03-26 09:59:21
Subject: large data migration with export node/ import node?
From: Jason Livie <livie AT FR.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:25:41 +0100
Hello,

We are looking to progressively migrate clients from one of our TSM server
running TSM 4.1.5 (3494 attached) to another TSM server running TSM 4.2.1
(LTO attached). Some of the data on the TSM 4.1.5 has no limit retention.

As we progressively migrate the clients to the new TSM 4.2.1server, we will
let expiration take care of cleaning up the old data on the TSM 4.1 server
but we will have to recuperate the  no limit data by some way!!  Both
servers will have to work in parallel just in case we have to restore data
from either server.

Did anyone ever successfully use export node / import node  to do this this
type of migration?  I was  either thinking of using server to server
devclass or define the LTO to the library manager so that it is seen by the
old TSM 4.1 server to perform the export / import?

Any comments would be welcomed? If you were successful or not in this type
of operation I would like to hear about it!!!!

many thanks,

Jason Livie