ADSM-L

Reclamation of Offsite Pool

2002-03-26 09:44:06
Subject: Reclamation of Offsite Pool
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:51:30 -0500
Hello,

I think I finally understand the process of reclamation on copy pools and
how it is done on tapes that are offsite in the vault.  I was just looking
through all of the messages associated with the reclamation of offsite
volumes and I received the message ANR1163W (That an offsite volume still
contains files which could not be moved) which I am assuming that since it
was a reclamation it could not be copied from available onsite volumes.  In
the message book it gives 3 different methods of fixing this problem.  I
was just wondering what everyone thinks would be the best action to take?

1. Bring the volume back onsite and issue a MOVE DATA command to reclaim
the volume.
2. Make teh primary volumes available and reissue a MOVE DATA command to
reclaim the volume.  (How do I know what the primary volumes are associated
with the offsite tape in the vault?
3.  Delete the files by using the DELETE VOLUME command.  (Not an option at
this point in time)

One last question...  When reclamation runs for offsite tapes, how do I
know where the information is located in the primary volumes?  How do I
know what information is on that tape?  I tried a Q CON, but apparently it
only works on volumes that are onsite?

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Joni Moyer
Associate Systems Programmer