ADSM-L

TSM Linux scheduler fails authentication when a certain VALID password is used!?

2002-03-21 14:56:09
Subject: TSM Linux scheduler fails authentication when a certain VALID password is used!?
From: Keith Kwiatek <kkwiatek AT NIST DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:49:43 -0500
Hello,

I have a Red Hat Linux 7.2 TSM client v 4.2.1 which seems to have a problem
with a certain VALID password.

I do a "set password" on the command line, and enter old/new password. It
accepts the new password fine. I exit from the command line. I start the
scheduler. I restart the command line and then do a "q sched".... and it
asks for a nodename, I enter one, and it completes the q sched fine. I enter
q sched again and it asks for the nodename again, in fact every time I do a
q sched, it asks for the nodename. When the scheduler begins backing up at
night, I get an authentication failure. The dsm.sys file is fine. The
behaviour goes away if I simply change the password to anything but the
particular string of alpha-numeric characters. When I set the password to
the particular password string again, the odd behaviour comes back.

For security reasons, I can't provide the password that is causing the
problem.....

Any ideas?

Keith