ADSM-L

Re: ADSM sees 'readwrite' as 'offsite'

2002-03-20 13:05:13
Subject: Re: ADSM sees 'readwrite' as 'offsite'
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:02:16 -0500
Jim,

I have seen this also.  I suspect that the tape starts with part2 of a file that
has part 1 on a tape still offsite, or ends with part 1 of a file that has part
2
on an offsite tape.  The server can't switch between onsite and offsite mode
for copypool moves and reclaims to it has to use offsite mode.

At 11:30 AM 3/20/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>    ADSM Smart People,
>
>    AIX:  4.3.2
>    ADSM: 3.1.2.1 (I know it's old, but we are upgrading!)
>    ======================================================
>    I have an ongoing problem that I haven't found the
>    solution to in the ADSM archives.
>
>    I will bring a volume onsite, will set that volume
>    acc=readw (from 'offsite'). So far, so good. However,
>    when I attempt to move data from that volume to another,
>    ADSM continues to see it as 'offsite' (even though if
>    I do: 'q vo acc=readw', the volume will show up in the
>    list AND if I do: 'q vo acc=offsite', the volume will
>    NOT show up in that list).
>
>    Consequently, in order to do a 'move data', multiple tape
>    mounts are usually required (from the primary pool)--sometimes
>    as many as 30 or more tapes to empty the data from one volume!.
>    This happens to about 1/3 of the volumes I bring onsite.
>
>    Obviously, it gets very painful after a while, and I would
>    love to know if there is a workaround for this little 'problem'.
>
>    Thanks.
>
>    Jim
>
>    Jim Coen
>    coen AT washburn DOT edu
>    Manager, Application Software Services
>    ADSM Administrator
>    Listserv Administrator/News Administrator
>    Information Technology Services                   Washburn University
>    785-231-1010 Ext 2304                             Topeka, KS 66621
>
>    Wisdom has two parts: 1) Having a lot to say
>                          2) Not saying it

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab