ADSM-L

ADSM sees 'readwrite' as 'offsite'

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: ADSM sees 'readwrite' as 'offsite'
From: Jim Coen [mailto:coen AT WASHBURN DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
    ADSM Smart People,

    AIX:  4.3.2
    ADSM: 3.1.2.1 (I know it's old, but we are upgrading!)
    I have an ongoing problem that I haven't found the
    solution to in the ADSM archives.

    I will bring a volume onsite, will set that volume
    acc=readw (from 'offsite'). So far, so good. However,
    when I attempt to move data from that volume to another,
    ADSM continues to see it as 'offsite' (even though if
    I do: 'q vo acc=readw', the volume will show up in the
    list AND if I do: 'q vo acc=offsite', the volume will
    NOT show up in that list).

    Consequently, in order to do a 'move data', multiple tape
    mounts are usually required (from the primary pool)--sometimes
    as many as 30 or more tapes to empty the data from one volume!.
    This happens to about 1/3 of the volumes I bring onsite.

    Obviously, it gets very painful after a while, and I would
    love to know if there is a workaround for this little 'problem'.

    Thanks.

    Jim

    Jim Coen
    coen AT washburn DOT edu
    Manager, Application Software Services
    ADSM Administrator
    Listserv Administrator/News Administrator
    Information Technology Services                   Washburn University
    785-231-1010 Ext 2304                             Topeka, KS 66621

    Wisdom has two parts: 1) Having a lot to say
                          2) Not saying it