ADSM-L

Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390

2015-10-04 17:10:43
Subject: Re: Benefits of moving to platform other than OS/390
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hi

As far as I can see, moving do a UNIX platform only has positive effects
such as:

Higher throughput. Normally, the S/390 guys only allows a minor amount of
memory and processor utilization to be used by ADSM/TSM. This is not a
problem when running a UNIX box.

The UNIX boxes normally have higher disk and tape I/O than a S/390
system. Dont ask me why, but I have seen this in environments where TSM had
existed on both UNIX and S/390.

Administration of a UNIX box is normally easier, and you don't have to
have a IBM representative doing all the work.

S/390 is optimized for transactions, UNIX is optimized for
disk/tape/network I/O.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkdllavdgen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Vdxel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                      Joni Moyer
                      <joni.moyer@HIGHM        To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ARK.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Benefits of moving
to platform other than OS/390
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      2002-03-20 14:12
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello again!

I was just wondering if anyone has moved from an OS/390 platform to an AIX
or SUN and if so, what are the pros/cons of such a move?  Thanks!!!

Joni

=