ADSM-L

Re: question: db-backup

2002-03-20 08:57:19
Subject: Re: question: db-backup
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:54:51 +0100
Hi Joachim

Have you considered using a Tivoli Data Protection agent., to be able to
handle online backups?

If not, with MS SQL, you can use dump methods to dump the database to a
different location, and then use the TSM backup/restore klient to backup
that file. If you talk to your SQL admin, he will probably know what you're
meaning with a dump. I don't remeber the exact SQL statement, but it is
something like this:

DUMP DATABASE "DATABASENAME" C:\DUMP\"DATABASENAME".DMP

But, I recommend taking a look at Tivoli Data Protection for MS SQL. You
will probably not be able to run the latest version, as it only support
version 7.0 and 2000, but you should be able to run version 1.1.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Bergkällavägen 31D
192 79 SOLLENTUNA
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

                      "Stumpf, Joachim"

                      <joachim.stumpf@D        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ATEV.DE>                 cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: question:
db-backup
                      Dist Stor

                      Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      .EDU>

                      2002-03-20 13:17

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

Hi again,

the application is a MS-SQL 6.0 db-server.
At 23:00h started the TSM-backup.
And at 00:30h a person from the db-group tried a update to the db, but the
backup was running.
In this case the Node had a big problem with its RAM (RAM ran full) and our
NT-Admin wanted to know if this was caused by the update of the db during a
backup.

Our Nodes usually have a 100Mbit network card and the server is an OS/390
TSM-Server;but we have lots of Nodes, so the transfer rate is very slow...
but this is something else we had analized last summer ;)

--
regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen
regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen

"robert" <robert AT plcs DOT nl> (Mittwoch, 20. März 2002, 13:58:15, CET):