ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange

2002-03-19 19:32:46
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:12:01 -0500
> Hi *SM-ers!
> I can't find an answer in the manual for a question from one of my users:
> What happens when I start an incremental backup for a new TDP for
Exchange
> server? So, what happens when I start an incremental when no full backup
> exists?

Eric,

In regards to TDP for Exchange...

You must run a full backup before an incremental backup will work.
Now, if you run a full backup with something other than
TDP for Exchange, the Exchange Server will gladly let you do that.

So, the point is that you should ALWAYS run a a full backup
with TDP for Exchange before attempting any incremental
or differential backup.

If you are using NTBACKUP or some other tool as a supplement,
you need to be very careful, because Exchange won't know that,
and will let you do it. The problem would then appear when you
tried to perform a restore using both tools.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Leave everything a little better than you found it.
Smile a lot: it costs nothing and is beyond price.