ADSM-L

Re: Restore TSM server to different OS?

2002-03-19 14:53:30
Subject: Re: Restore TSM server to different OS?
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:50:36 -0500
> Is it possible to restore a TSM 4.1 server running on Windows NT to a
> Solaris server?
>
> I'm practicing some DR stuff, and my scenario is that one of our WinNT
> TSM4.1 servers has crashed, and we need to restore the latest BACKUP DB
> data, but onto a Solaris server on our disastersite.
>
> Is that possible? I receive mysterious "ANR1368W Input volume 16440215.DBB
> contains sequence number 16777216; volume sequence number 1 is required."
> when doing my DSMSERV RESTORE DB.

SPARC is a so-called big-endian architecture, with the most significant
byte of multi-byte integer having the lowest memory address, while the
Intel x86 family has a little-endian architecture, with the least significant
byte of a multi-byte integer having the lowest memory address. A little-
endian system would represent a four-byte integer with a value of 1 as
hexadecimal 01000000. A big-endian system reading the same sequence of
bytes as a four-byte integer would come up with a value of 16777216.
This provides a plausible explanation for the message, and makes me very
pessimistic about restoring a Windows TSM database backup on a Solaris
system.