ADSM-L

Re: AIX support for ERASING a tape

2002-03-19 03:44:36
Subject: Re: AIX support for ERASING a tape
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:42:06 +0100
> Wanda Prather wrote:
> > Subject: AIX support for ERASING a tape
> > Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:20:27 -0600
> > From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
> > To: <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> >
> > Our STK 9840 tape drives are attached to an AIX host.
> >
> > The 9840 drives support the SCSI DSE command (Data Security Erase).
> > DSE has to be issued by software.
> >
> > Anybody know of a utility I can run on AIX that will let me issue that
> > command to a tape drive?
> >

> tctl -f/dev/rmtX erase
>
> Don't know if it uses the SCSI DSE command, but it would be some sort of
> SCSI erase, I suspect.

One intresting note, the mt command that both AIX and other unixes have has
the exact same syntax, why in the world would IBM call it tctl (hard link to
mt :)?

(Guess the idea is, use mt, that's more portable :)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams