ADSM-L

Re: 3494 Volume Stealing

2002-03-18 15:30:30
Subject: Re: 3494 Volume Stealing
From: Steve Roder <spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:05:07 -0500
> It wasn't stolen.  I have seen where the 3494 will eject a cart all on its
> own for various reasons.  This action is not sent to TSM.  Perhaps the
> operators saw the tape in the IO door and just pulled it out and put it
> back in without letting anyone know.  Mine have done that several times,
> the volume is then in FF00 category (free for all).    In your case
> another TSM could have claimed this tape, and a later AUDIT LIBRARY on the
> rightful owner would leave the 3494 and the TSM's in the state you
> mention.

I wrote a script that looks at all tapes in the insert category (FF00),
and does the right thing.  I share my 3494 between two TSM servers, and
two mainframe OS's (1 VM and 1 MVS).  My two TSM servers share one large
pool of tapes, with each server having it's own private and scratch
categories. My script ensures that one TSM server does not checkin the
other server's private volumes (storage pool, or dbbackup) as scratch, and
visa-versa.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)