ADSM-L

Re: Bug or request for design?

2002-03-18 04:53:39
Subject: Re: Bug or request for design?
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT RZ.UNI-ULM DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:50:28 +0100
"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" wrote:

> Hi *SM-ers!
> I would like to know your opinion on something:
> I opened a PNR for the following TSM client behavior:
> The TSM client (AIX and NT tested) doesn't list any restorable objects when
> the options file contains an error.
> Try the following on AIX: rename your include/exclude file and start the TSM
> client. It returns the error: ANS1036S Invalid option 'INCLEXCL' found in
> options file. Click on OK and now click the restore button on the main GUI.
> No files are listed!
> This was quite disturbing for our UNIX people! When you correct the
> include/exclude and you restart the GUI all files are listed again.
> To my opinion, this is clearly a bug, but this was the response form the
> Tivoli lab:
> With both the command line and the GUI, the TSM client informed the user of
> the option file problem and location.  If the option file problem is
> resolved, normal client behavior is returned. This appears to be a request
> for a design change.
> What do you think? Is it a bug or am I a nit-picker?
> Kindest regards,

Hi ...
because you cannot only do no restore, but also cannot backup anything
I would believe this is really no bug but a feature.
So for restore AND backup you have to repair the error and nothing serious
happens until then ... and no errors should be allowed ...

Greetings Rainer

Rainer Wolf                     rainer.wolf AT rz.uni-ulm DOT de
Tel: 0731-50-22482              Fax: 0731-50-22471
University Computing Center     http://www.uni-ulm.de/urz