ADSM-L

Max number of clients on a single TSM server?

2015-10-04 17:10:42
Subject: Max number of clients on a single TSM server?
From: Warner, Alan [mailto:awarner AT TI DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm currently supporting over 1500 clients (1250 PC's + 250 servers) off of
a single 3466 Netstore box (that's an RS6000 with AIX and TSM server running
on it, plus 3494 tape library).  Database size utilized is about 62 GB.

I'm about to push my luck and add another 500 PC clients to this.   I can
now see that overnight -- when most of the backups take place -- the session
count sometimes gets up over 300 at one time (2 sessions per client).

Does anybody out there have any experience going over 2,000 clients on a TSM
server?   As long as I keep adding disk storage pool space and database
space, am I OK?  Is there a point where this whole thing will begin to
crumble?  (Assume network capacity is not a problem.)

Regards,
Alan