ADSM-L

Re: Data Retention: The real issue

2002-03-15 17:52:20
Subject: Re: Data Retention: The real issue
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:33:53 -0500
This is the beauty of TSM.  It can move the data from one set of volumes to
another over time.  You just have to ask it to do so.  Meaning you do not
have to worry about the media problem.  What you have to worry about is the
application that reads the data, the OS that the data was created on, etc.

I am going to ask Tivoli for a new reclamation feature.  Reclaim based on
how long ago a media has been accessed.  Then, you can force a reclamation
every so often.  And, for customers like me that want to avoid open slotted
offsite storage, I can just specify the rotation cycle - 1 cycle length to
force the data to be rebuilt onsite before it comes back.