ADSM-L

Re: HELP with TSM and SAN

2015-10-04 17:10:42
Subject: Re: HELP with TSM and SAN
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

> 1. LAN FREE B/A is available with the Storage Agent in TSM 4.2
>
> 2. SANergy MDC cannot run on AIX - WIN2k, WINNT, Solaris, Red Hat and
> SuSe.

Thanks Adolph.  This clears things up.  But there is indeed a SANergy
client for AIX.  The Tivoli rep just quoted me a license.  It requires
130 points.  Then why can't I run the SANergy MDC
on a W2K box to export the disk storage pool to the AIX SANergy client
where the TSM server is.  From this disk storage pool backup files will
migrate to the 3494.  The W2K box and the AIX TSM server will both be on
the SAN.

Eliza, why would you want to do this? What are you trying to achieve?
Maybe we should take this off the list server. My email is
akahan AT ica DOT net.

> 3. The non-SAN clients can backup to a SAN or non-SAN disk pool. The
TSM
> server writes to the disk pool, the client does not. If the TSM server
> has access to the SAN then I would have all of the 3494 tapes attached
> to the SAN. Partitioning the library is not required. All of my
clients
> with 3494 libraries and SAN, have all of the drives on the SAN.
>
> 4. Server Free backup will require the use of a San Data Gateway -
this
> is a hardware box- The current box available from IBM is a 2108-G07.
>
> 5. Server Free means both the TSM Server and the Client are not doing
> i/o to the disk or tape for backup purposes. This comes with TSM 5.1.
> Initially this will be very limited in the clients that are supported
> and the TSM server platform.
>
> Adolph Kahan

Eliza Lau
Virginia Tech Computing Center