ADSM-L

Re: NFS MOUNTS

2002-03-13 21:30:10
Subject: Re: NFS MOUNTS
From: Gabriel Wiley <wileyg AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:26:58 -0500
What OS ??

This taken from admin guide for AIX pg 221:

Nfstimeout
The nfstimeout option specifies the number of seconds the server
waits for a status system call on an NFS file system before it times out.
You can use this option to mitigate the default behavior of status
calls on NFS file systems. For example, if an NFS file system is
stale, a status system call will be timed out by NFS (softmounted) or
hang the process (hardmounted).
When the value of this option is changed to a value other than zero,
a new (child) process is created to issue the status system call. The
new process is timed out by the main (parent) process and the
operation can continue.
Note: The server can also define this option.
Options File
Place this option in the client system options file (dsm.sys) within a
server stanza or the client options file (dsm.opt).
Syntax
NFSTIMEout number Õ
Parameters
number
Specifies the number of seconds the server waits for a status
system call on an NFS file system before timing out. The default
is 0 seconds.
Examples
Options file:
nfstimeout 10
Command line:
-nfstimeout=10
Good luck~
Good luck~

Gabriel C. Wiley
ADSM/TSM Administrator
AIX Support
Phone 1-614-308-6709
Pager  1-877-489-2867
Fax      1-614-308-6637
Cell       1-740-972-6441

Siempre Hay Esperanza

                      David Longo

                      <David.Longo@HEALTH        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      -FIRST.ORG>                cc:

                      Sent by: "ADSM:            Subject:  Re: NFS MOUNTS

                      Dist Stor Manager"

                      <[email protected]

                      03/13/2002 05:26 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "ADSM: Dist Stor

                      Manager"

TSM by default DOES NOT backup NFS mounts.  You have to specifically
tell it to with the DOMAIN statement in dsm.opt or dsm.sys, depending
on your platform.  What platform is this?

Maybe there is a CLOPSET set on the server to back it up?

David Longo

>>> Mark_Adams AT CSGSYSTEMS DOT COM 03/13/02 04:43PM >>>
We ran into a problem with NFS mounts on one our clients.
The NFS server went down and when the client tried to backup it just hung.

My question is why does TSM back up NFS by default with no real way to turn
it off.

What can we do to not look at the NFS mounts.

I have tried different exclude statements, but to no avail.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

TSM server 3.7.4
Client 3.7.2.15

Mark Adams
Systems Programmer
CSG Systems, Inc.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/13/02 17:39:49
-------
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain
confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If
copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular
entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views
or opinions.