ADSM-L

virtual volumes?

2002-03-13 21:10:35
Subject: virtual volumes?
From: "Wholey, Joseph (TGA\\MLOL)" <JWholey AT EXCHANGE.ML DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:08:07 -0500
I could really use some help on this one...

TSMv4.1.3 server on S/390
TSMv4.1.5 server on AIX-RS/6000

I set up server to server communications.  All works well.
I set up virtual volumes from the TSM RS/6000 to the TSM S/390 server.  All
looked well until I noticed that the utilization on the tape pool I thought I
was writing to never changed.  Upon further
investigation, I noticed I was writing to a disk pool.  Can't figure out how
it's happening.
e.g. I direct data (backup db type=full dev=vvol) to the device class vvol,
which of course is devtype server, it's going to a storage pool that writes to
disk.  Unfortunately, this is not how I set
this up.  I suspect it has something to do with my copygroup or mgmtclass...
here's the output of 4 queries... I know it's quite a bit to look at, but I'd
appreciate if someone could shed some light
on this one.  I'm a little confused.

tsm: ADSM-ML-WSTP>q mgmtclass virtual-vols virtual-policy vv-default f=d

            Policy Domain Name: VIRTUAL-VOLS
               Policy Set Name: VIRTUAL-POLICY
               Mgmt Class Name: VV-DEFAULT
          Default Mgmt Class ?: Yes
    Space Management Technique: None
       Auto-Migrate on Non-Use: 0
    Migration Requires Backup?: Yes
         Migration Destination: SPACEMGPOOL
Last Update by (administrator): TGADSJW
         Last Update Date/Time: 03/13/2002 15:20:11
              Managing profile:

tsm: ADSM-ML-WSTP>q co virtual-vols virtual-policy f=d

            Policy Domain Name: VIRTUAL-VOLS
               Policy Set Name: VIRTUAL-POLICY
               Mgmt Class Name: VV-DEFAULT
               Copy Group Name: STANDARD
               Copy Group Type: Backup
          Versions Data Exists: 2
         Versions Data Deleted: 1
         Retain Extra Versions: 30
           Retain Only Version: 60
                     Copy Mode: Modified
            Copy Serialization: Shared Static
                Copy Frequency: 0
              Copy Destination: VLDB-POOL
Last Update by (administrator): TGADSJW
         Last Update Date/Time: 11/14/2001 11:22:08
              Managing profile:
tsm: ADSM-ML-WSTP>q stg vldb-pool f=d

               Storage Pool Name: VLDB-POOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: WATL2BFS
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 0.0
                        Pct Util: 0.0
                        Pct Migr: 0.0
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 90
                     Low Mig Pct: 70
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: No
           Reclamation Threshold: 60
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 9,999
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): TGADSJW
           Last Update Date/Time: 03/08/2002 10:38:48
tsm: ADSM-ML-WSTP>q devclass watl2bfs f=d
             Device Class Name: WATL2BFS
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 3
Last Update by (administrator): TGADSBJ
         Last Update Date/Time: 01/29/2001 10:48:05
                   Device Type: 3590
         Maximum Capacity (MB):
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 61,440.0
           Dataset Name Prefix: ADSM