ADSM-L

Re: HELP with TSM and SAN

2002-03-13 18:05:27
Subject: Re: HELP with TSM and SAN
From: Adolph Kahan <akahan AT ICA DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 18:03:02 -0500
1. LAN FREE B/A is available with the Storage Agent in TSM 4.2

2. SANergy MDC cannot run on AIX - WIN2k, WINNT, Solaris, Red Hat and
SuSe.

3. The non-SAN clients can backup to a SAN or non-SAN disk pool. The TSM
server writes to the disk pool, the client does not. If the TSM server
has access to the SAN then I would have all of the 3494 tapes attached
to the SAN. Partitioning the library is not required. All of my clients
with 3494 libraries and SAN, have all of the drives on the SAN.

4. Server Free backup will require the use of a San Data Gateway - this
is a hardware box- The current box available from IBM is a 2108-G07.

5. Server Free means both the TSM Server and the Client are not doing
i/o to the disk or tape for backup purposes. This comes with TSM 5.1.
Initially this will be very limited in the clients that are supported
and the TSM server platform.

Adolph Kahan