ADSM-L

Re: Monthly full backup

2002-03-13 10:33:04
Subject: Re: Monthly full backup
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:28:11 -0500
We did account for the versioning with the fulls.  We rely much more on the
how long we keep extra versions as compared to how many.   And yes it does
use more DB space to that.  One benefit is that I know that there is nothing
in my system that is a backup that is of any value after 90 days.  We do use
archival for yearly and 7year retentions for the financials.   In doing this
I discover many OLD data sets that are of no value that consume less than 1%
of a tape.  I also know when TDP processes of DB backups aren't run properly
and would grow my tape usage incorrectly.   Basically I don't do tape
consolidation, ever.  MOST tapes will go back to scratch before 90 days, as
they should.  Some things hang on because of AIX file systems that are
created and destroyed as techs move things around.
        I guess I could use backup sets as an alternative way of doing
things but  I would then have to incorporate the consolidation procedures.
        Reading peoples response to this I am learning something about
SELECTIVE.  I guess it will read an INCLUDE/EXCLUDE list.  However,  I see a
difference in the fact that in doing a SELECTIVE the OBJECT list must be
maintained on the CLIENT SCHEDULE  other wise a new files system that is IN
the domain but not listed is not backed up.  Going through the incremental
path it looks at all the files systems in the domain.   My include/exclude
lists were developed with the understanding that the default is everything
is included.  We took the path of better to error and backup too much as
opposed to making the error of not having enough backedup.
Matt