ADSM-L

Re: Monthly full backup

2002-03-13 09:18:05
Subject: Re: Monthly full backup
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:15:34 -0500
Using 1 nodename for both daily and monthly backups...? Don't you have
problems with versioning? Or did you take into account that you would always
be getting a version of every file at least once a month.

Is there a reason you couldn't use backupsets for the monthly backup? You
could set up a monthly admin schedule to run a generate backupset for these
node(s). We do this for a client. We defined a TSM server script called
GENBSET that takes the nodename as a parameter and issues the generate
command. We do 4-5 a day, for days 1-28 of each month (since all months have
28-days). They don't care when during the month the 'monthly' tape is
generated, just that there is one that they can keep for a year. They also
use Autovault to offsite vault these 'monthly' tapes.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.