ADSM-L

Re: No drives available - UPDATE

2002-03-12 21:49:15
Subject: Re: No drives available - UPDATE
From: Gabriel Wiley <wileyg AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:37:43 -0500
I had a similar experience..

What would happen is the 3494 library(robot) would do it's job, and after a
million + mounts a month a screw would come lose in the back of the library
causing the drive to move back say  .09823650124650418751 of an inch.  (CE
explained that one, said I wasn't the only one experiencing)
This would cause the library robot when grabbing a dismounted tape - to
call a dismount failed message. When the tape was really dismounted..
I had this 1 particular volume always popping up in the actlog around the
time the "No Drives Available" message would appear.

It seems when the volume in question failed to dismount(the first time) the
status/category changed(From the Library's perspective)
I queried the Library for the tape and it came back with category # it
shouldn't have, TSM thought it was a scratch when it really was a
private.(Or vise versa, depending on the action being performed with the
tape)

Resolution:  2 Gallons of Lock tite and a couple railroad ties to shore up
the back of the tape drive....

Not a TSM problem, misunderstanding of a weird situation.

Pager has been sleeping like a log ever since I figured that one out...

Gabriel C. Wiley
ADSM/TSM Administrator
AIX Support
Phone 1-614-308-6709
Pager  1-877-489-2867
Fax      1-614-308-6637
Cell       1-740-972-6441

Siempre Hay Esperanza

                      Allen Barth
                      <allen_barth@SCUD        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      DER.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: No drives
available - UPDATE
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      03/12/2002 06:04
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Actually it's a little worse....
   I found the hard way that the tapes which been emptied by move data or
reclamation also needed to be deleted.   TSM somehow seems to record the
tape density/capacity when the tape is added to a stg pool.   I had,  um,
several tapes that would fail mounts and generate a 'No tape drives
available' message.  It took a little while to piece what was going on,
but after I deleted the vols and checked them back in they have all been
quite useable.

Al Barth

Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
03/07/02 12:00 PM
Please respond to Joe Faracchio