ADSM-L

Need some ADSM pointers

2015-10-04 17:10:42
Subject: Need some ADSM pointers
From: Dan Foster [mailto:dsf AT GBLX DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Howdy -

        I'm a new ADSM admin, but not new to the world of backups or system
administration with about 10 years of in-depth admin experience and having
done some very basic work with ADSM in the past, as well as Legato
Networker,
BRU, tar, dump, etc. Know my way around AIX pretty well.

        I've effectively inherited a setup from the previous ADSM
administrator
who was pretty good but now I have some questions and just need some
pointers.
(And he's no longer here.)

Current ADSM server version is 3.1 Level 2.50 on an AIX 4.3.3 ML09 machine.

* Where can I find documentation pertaining to my version of ADSM server?
  All I have right now is literally a big README file which seems more
  geared toward listing changes or new features rather than describing
  server functionality and options. Any PDF files? Web sites? Text files?

* Where do I obtain latest ADSM and TSM server and client fixes? Is there
  a FTP or WWW site?

* Is there a way on Solaris boxes to adjust sliding windows? TCPWINDOW
doesn't
  seem to work in dsm.sys on the Solaris-based clients.

* What's the appropriate way to exclude a directory and everything under it?
  Currently, I have this in my inclexcl file:

  exclude.dir /opt/foo
  exclude /opt/foo/*
  exclude /opt/foo*
  exclude /opt/foo/...
  exclude /opt/foo/.../*

  That seems a bit redundant ;) Trying to figure out what is required to
  weed out the redundant lines.

* Is it possible to rename the ADSM server's name? (Not machine hostname,
  but its ADSM name) Or am I just out of luck short of a total reinstall?
  I poked around with the online help for update and rename commands, and
  didn't seem to see anything which makes me think I may be out of luck.

* Is there any way to temporarily disable paging (ie, <ENTER> to continue)
  within dsmadmc when wanting to gather data for easy copy-n-paste? At least
  one command's output looks very poor when done in batch mode with stdout
  redirected to a file.

Thanks for any suggestions, pointers, or information!

-Dan Foster
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
IP Systems Engineering (IPSE)
Global Crossing Telecommunications