ADSM-L

Re: Useunicodnames YES or NO

2002-03-11 21:06:55
Subject: Re: Useunicodnames YES or NO
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 21:03:55 -0500
Hi Michael and Rene,

USEUNICODEFILENAMES, while aptly named for what it does internally, is not
very well named for what it is intended for. Perhaps a better name would
have been ENABLEMACFILESUPPORT, or something like that...   :-)

From DOC APAR IC30744, which better describes the purpose of this option:

Mac file support is available only for files with U.S. English
characters in their names (i.e. names that do not contain
accents, umlauts, Japanese characters, Chinese characters, etc)

In order to back up Mac files, the following client options
must be in effect:

 USEUNICODEFILENAMES YES

If you are not backing up Mac files, then the following option
must be in effect:

 USEUNICODEFILENAMES NO

Note that the default value is NO for all languages except
English.

The Unicode client (4.2 and up) eliminates the need for this option, and
TSM ignores it.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT CW DOT COM>
03/11/2002 05:44
Please respond to michael.bartl