ADSM-L

Re: Slow Reclamation from disk

2002-03-11 11:54:12
Subject: Re: Slow Reclamation from disk
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:51:05 -0500
That's it, alright!  That APAR was from ADSM 2.1 closed in July
1997!!  I guess the fix is on the "back burner".

David Longo

>>> TRushfor AT CITY.WINNIPEG.MB DOT CA 03/11/02 11:33AM >>>
Yep, it is a design flaw!

Apar IC15925 describes this issue.
ERROR DESCRIPTION
ERROR DESCRIPTION
During an offsite reclamation process; where files are being
transfered from disk to tape.  ADSM fails to group the files
together into transaction groups.  Instead the files are
processed sequentially.  Hence a file will be reclaimed and
committed before the next file will be process.
ADSM needs to honor the movebatchsize and movesizethresh options
in the server options file, so that the files will be grouped
together properly for reclimation.
As a note, this problem will only be seen where off-site
reclamation is occuring from disk to tape.
COMMENTS:
After taking a very close look at the solution for this APAR,
it was determined that the code needed for this performance
enhancement is significant because it requires a restructure
in the offsite reclamation transaction processing.  A
requirement can be taken to include this performance
improvement in the next release or version.
I have submitted a design request - and actually had a TSM developer call me
I have submitted a design request - and actually had a TSM developer call me
asking for details  on this last September.  I haven't heard anything since
so I'm thinking they are not persuing it!

Please submit your reqests for a design change - perhaps if enough people
ask ...

Tim Rushforth
City of Winnipeg