ADSM-L

Re: Sybase & TSM

2002-03-11 11:05:58
Subject: Re: Sybase & TSM
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:02:59 -0600
Hi,

Having used both flat files for dumps and SQL-back track, I prefer to use
files. What I mean is I dump the database to files first, then backup the files
to TSM.

This is what I do:
DUMPTIME=`date +"%d%b%Y.%H:%M"`
DUMPNAME=$DEVNAME/$SERVER.$DATABASE.$DUMPTIME
$SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/bin/isql -X  -U$SQLUSER -P`cat "$PASSFILE"` -S$SERVER -e
<<! | tee $WORK_DIR/$FILENAME.$DATABASE.out.$$
use master
use master
go
dump database $DATABASE
       to "${DUMPNAME}.1"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.2"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.3"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.4"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.5"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.6"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.7"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.8"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.9"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.10"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.11"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.12"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.13"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.14"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.15"
stripe on "${DUMPNAME}.16"
with file="$FILENAME",  retaindays = 8, init
go
!

Then just do a 'dsmc inc' to backup the files.
The performance of this method can be very good.
I also got a letter from BMC saying the Sybase support is going up some
ridiculous amount like 30%.

miles

-------------------
Miles Purdy
Miles Purdy
System Manager
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
>>> hthta AT SARA DOT NL 11-Mar-02 7:33:44 AM >>>
>>> hthta AT SARA DOT NL 11-Mar-02 7:33:44 AM >>>
Does anyone has experience with Sybase and TSM?
I know there exists SQL-BackTrack for Sybase, but that seems to me
quite expensive.

Cheers,
Henk ten Have