ADSM-L

Re: Sybase & TSM

2002-03-11 09:04:29
Subject: Re: Sybase & TSM
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:01:58 -0600
Hello Henk,
We have dozens of Sybase, Oracle and MSSQL servers. We incorporated a
solution utilizing a second server with a large amount of diskspace. Then
performed scheduled native SYBASE dumps and moved the dumps and transaction
logs to this "DB store" server and performed our archives/backups from
there.

The DB store server has directories on it indicating the retention period.
(i.e.. 1_year, 3_year, 5_year ...). Our Database Administrators preferred
this method mainly because they have full control over the dumps and do not
have to be fully reliant on a second software product to be able to recover
the Database.

The other advantage is reduced licensing costs, instead of 28 different TDP
licenses we are able to use just one NT client license.

Duane Ochs
Systems Administration
Quad/Graphics Inc.
414.566.2375