ADSM-L

Re: LAN Free backups

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: Re: LAN Free backups
From: Angelo DeAngelis [mailto:storage4san AT WORLDNET.ATT DOT NET]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Joe,

Are you seeing the Agent make communications to the Server when recycled =
?
Is the Server receiving the mount request from the Agent ?

Any changes to the device configurations on the server that effect the =
Agent
(other server)  need to recycle agent.

If you want to send portion of activity log and oter messages, we can =
take a
look see.   Are the device names on the Client the same as the Server ?

What levels of TSM?

Performance note :
If the client supports SHAREDMEM / NANEPIPES  these in my testing have
provided the best performance especialy where the client and Agent talk
there is no TCP/IP overhead.

Biggest Advantage I see todate is that all that big I/O ( Data Bases ) =
are
removed from the LAN traffic and other tentents act better who need LAN.
The other big difference is that during a LAN backup the client is =
somewhat
working hard ( 35% - 40% or more ) moving data using IP stacks.

Performed testing where I had four drives writing to 3590 @ native =
speeds +
during a DB2 run where the engine was 79% idle during the run.   This is =
the
biggest advantage to date for LAN-Free.  Predicting performance over the =
SAN
is another animal for another day.

My two cents.