ADSM-L

Problems with latest Windows client

2015-10-04 17:10:41
Subject: Problems with latest Windows client
From: Steven Bridge [mailto:ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We have just started installing the latest Windows client 4.2.1.20
on 'new' Windows 2000 machines and and have come across a number of
problems and peculiarities.

I saw just recently on the list that there is a new patch level 4.2.1.26
but looking at the 'IP22373 26 READ1STC.TXT' it doesn't include any
additional APARS than the README for 4.2.1.20.
Can anyone tell me what fixes are included in this other than
IC32797 which addresses memory problems ?

4.2.1.20 has been running OK on a couple of machines - but another
is having trouble backing up the system object. The client scheduler
initiated by the Client Acceptor service was being started at the
appropriate time but was dying and being restarted every 10 minutes
only to die again. 'q files' on the server indicated that the system
object was being backed up every 10 mins. I removed 'domain systemobject'
from the opt file and this worked fine.
So I tried backing it up via the GUI and went through each system object
in turn ( COM+DB and Event Log had backed up OK via the scheduler
according to restore info ) Registry and RSM were OK but 'System Files'
caused the GUI to die. I couldn't find any error messages either in the
Event Viewer or in dsmerror.log.

Previously we had assumed that the registry was always backed up with
the incremental command - and the documentation implies the option
'backupregistry=yes' is the default when the system disk is being backed up.
Even when supplied it appears to have no effect.
We've found that this is no longer the case in the 4.2 client - hence the
'domain systemobject' line now being in our revised basic opt file.

Playing around with the GUI preference editor, I noticed that changing
the drives that you wish to backup also had the unfortunate consequence
of removing 'systemobject' from an existing domain line even though
the registry backup box was ticked ( Presumably this just affects the
backupregistry setting which as I've said above appears to be ignored ).

So moving to this new version has not been the easy ride I had hoped.
I'm reluctant to stay with 4.1 but so far not so good.

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London
 email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2794