ADSM-L

Re: 4.2 server memory corruption

2002-03-07 11:31:07
Subject: Re: 4.2 server memory corruption
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:28:13 -0500
We have upgraded our OS/390 TSM server to 4.2.1.9. This appears to have
resolved our performance problems. I would like to thank Bill Colwell, John
Naylor, and Brian Nick for their advice and assistance.

The first time we started the server it reported that it was upgrading its
database, even with the relatively small change in level.

We upgraded to 4.2.1.0 before going to 4.2.1.9. The 4.2.1.0 upgrade was
packaged as SMPE input. SMPE is the standard OS/390 software maintenance
tool, which keeps track of installed levels, verifies that prerequisite
products are installed, and so on. The 4.2.1.9 upgrade was delivered as
three replacement files with no provision for SMPE tracking. Tivoli has
made choices that have led to essentially interchanging the roles of
maintenance releases and patches. Sites that need stable code frequently
end up running patches for long periods. Given this reality, I find it
extremely annoying that patches are not packaged as SMPE input.