ADSM-L

Re: Mac files on NT server/client

2002-03-06 13:44:57
Subject: Re: Mac files on NT server/client
From: William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 13:41:39 -0500
Hello any SM'ers.

     I have a client that is NT but has mostly Macintosh users on it.  It
seems to back up at considerable slower speed than NT data.  It is routed
on a Cat 6509 with fiber Gb line and the AIX node server has a GB (10/1000)
card with fiber to the Cat 6509.  I am currently recieving 4 MB/s speed.
52 % is on i/o wait.  I noticed a big difference with I manually broke a
backup into several mini sections.  I did 100+ GB in 4 hours, which is
still 100 MB speed but the client might only be able to push that fast.  I
have my resourceutilization set to 8 and maximum moint points set to 8
(even thought I only have 6 tape drives in a 3494 tape library).  When I
FTP'ed 2 files 1 100 MB NT file went 4.7 seconds and a 200 MB Mac file went
4 minutes.  Is there anyone out there that backs up Mac with TSM and what
do y'all do?
     Thanx