ADSM-L

Backup and restore of NDS on Netware

2002-03-05 16:33:34
Subject: Backup and restore of NDS on Netware
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:30:52 -0500
As we were preparing to move Netware clients from TSM 3.7 to 4.2.1.19, we
did a test on one machine.  In the process we had to modify the DOMAIN in
dsm.opt file.  Reading the Tivoli manual on Netware client it states that NDS
is NOT backed up with DOMAIN All-Local.  We then specified NDS: in the
DOMAIN on this test case.  As we further investigated, we realized that we
haven't been backing up NDS!

We have a tree structure here,  different machines have access to different
parts of the NDS tree.  Also has replication to other machines.  We have
primarily Netware 5.1 and moving soon (maybe) to 6.0.  We have had a
couple of instances where we restored SYS: but never had to restore NDS.
It would seem we only have to backup NDS on certain servers, not all.

Has someone some experience in this area?  Can you reference a document
that covers this specifically?

Thanks,
David Longo

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 03/05/02 16:44:04
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.