ADSM-L

Monitoring ADSM backups using HP OpenView

2002-03-05 04:48:24
Subject: Monitoring ADSM backups using HP OpenView
From: "Goodson, Alex" <Alex.Goodson AT ASTRAZENECA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:27:45 -0000
Hi,

I'm a complete novice to TSM. We currently manage a large network of UNIX
servers (mixture of AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and Tru64) and have recently taken
over support of a small group of AIX servers (5 of them) that consist of an
TSM Backup server and 4 clients. The machines run Oracle databases and so
have two types of backup, the standard backup and a backup of the oracle
datafiles using rman.
The majority of our other servers are backed up using Legato Networker and
so we use OpenViews ability to monitore plain text files to check the status
of the backups (simply checking /nsr/logs/messages for Failed or Succeeded).
I realise that things are not so simple with TSM. However, we would really
like a way of automatically checking the status of the backups and then
calling a script to raise OV alerts if a failure is detected.

An additional complication is that because of the network config between
ourselves and these new servers we cannot receive SNMP traps.

Does anyone have any experience doing this ? Given that  my knowledge of TSM
is extemely limited (I'm currently reading the TSM Concepts and
Implementation Redbooks) I realise that I may be approaching this from
completely the wrong direction but I'd appreciate any constructive advice.

many thanks

Alex