ADSM-L

Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP

2002-03-01 13:43:34
Subject: Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:39:57 -0500
Bob,

Don't bother.  I can tell you from experience that it won't work, and
Tivoli support will tell you it isn't supported.  BTW, export/import isn't
supported either, although it "may" work.

We are in the middle of a migration from AIX to HP (L2000 server).  Tried
the same thing.   The problem is apparently in the way TSM records data on
tape on AIX vs. on HP-UX.... TSM on HP-UX could not read the tape created
on AIX.   I was able to export the database and import on HP-UX.  But, like
you, we have a lot of node data on AIX (about 60TB).  By my rough
calculations, (using DLT7000 drives) it would have taken more than six
months of exporting, 24x7, optimistically assuming a 5MB/sec throughput.

What we are now doing is keeping our old TSM and library online until the
"old" data expires.... which will be about a year.  Then we'll
export/import any remaining archives.  Luckily for us, we have the hardware
to do this.

Some other folks have suggested FTP'ing the database from AIX to
HP-UX....or 'tar'ing it...  I didn't think of it, and now it's too late to
try, since we've been backing up on HP for several months.  I also didn't
try the unloaddb/loaddb,  but I suspect the same problem would exist.

Good Luck
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    ARhoads
                    <arhoads@PACB
                    ELL.NET>      To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                  cc:    (bcc: Robin Sharpe/WA/USR/SHG)
                    03/01/02      Subject:
                    08:32 AM             Re: Server Migration - AIX to HP
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Bob,

the issue of  'it won't work' doesn't preclude you from trying it!  It
should work since the platforms are both UNIX (handling tape read/write
sim.).

Otherwise you'd unloaddb to a file and then move the file to the new
platform -- maybe preferable anyway to re-optimize the database...

Steffan