ADSM-L

Re: logmode/bufpoolsize/mpthreading

2002-03-01 01:40:16
Subject: Re: logmode/bufpoolsize/mpthreading
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:39:07 +0200
Hi Joe,

Our environment is same as yours - Os/390 TSM4.1.3.0.
We run roll-forward mode on the recovery log.
Size currently allocated for the recovery log = 5364Meg
The maximum you can make this is in the region of 5.4 Gig -
check back in the archives - it has been discussed before.
It depends on how busy your TSM system gets - how many tansactions
you are doing.
Our current Bufpoolsize:
Bufpoolsize 384000 - This will depend on your system's memory
(You can always double your current bufpoolsize and see what
this does to your cache hit percentage - if it stays below
98% - increase more - if above leave as is).
Mpthreading - Have been running with it set to yes for about
a year already, no problems - we have in the last month
switched it off - (trying to determine the cause of something
else - IBM recommended switching off the MPthreading just
"in case").

Hope this helps.
Regards
Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank
Johannesburg
South Africa

> Environment:
> Server: 4.1.3.0
> Platform: S390
>
> 1.  Logmode: We're going to change the Logmode from Normal to Roll
Forward.  What determines the amount of disk I'll require?

> 2.  Bufpoolsize: We're going to increase from 24576K to ?.  What's the
determining factor?

> 3.  Mpthreading:  We're going to turn it on.  Are there any considerations
I should concern myself with?

> None of this info is in the manual that I'm aware of.  I get a log of "try
this" form Tivoli support.  Unfortunately, I don't work in an environment
where I can "try this" without first knowing what
> the repercussions are.
>

> Regards,
> Joe Wholey
> TGA Distributed Data Services
> Merrill Lynch
> Phone: 212-647-3018
> Page:  888-637-7450
> E-mail: joseph_wholey AT ml DOT com

"The information contained in this communication is confidential and
may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to
receive it.  If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action
in reliance of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited
and may be unlawful.  Absa is neither liable for the proper, complete
transmission of the information contained in this communication, any
delay in its receipt or that the mail is virus-free."