ADSM-L

FW: TSM Reporting..

2002-02-28 13:00:53
Subject: FW: TSM Reporting..
From: Mark Bertrand <Mark.Bertrand AT USUNWIRED DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:25:23 -0600
In the windows world I use another tool to convert the outputted .out file
to html so I can post to a web page  for management. The tool is called
asctotab and is postcardware, more info can be found at the following
website http://www.yrl.co.uk/~jaf/AscToTab.html My script is as Justin
described but with (asctotab "d:\program
files\tivoli\tsm\baclient\schdevnt.out") as the last line.

In the Unix world I use a different tool htdig. I use a Linux box to samba
mount the windows clients directory where my log files live dsmerror.log,
dsmsched.log, etc... and then management uses htdig to search all clients at
once for any word that they would like i.e.. error, failed, etc... More info
on htdig can be found at http://www.htdig.org/ it's a website search engine
but can be configured for file searches.

It's not perfect, but it works. If I could keep Tivoli from failing on
scheduled jobs I could spend more time on reporting and make it better. Out
of 61 nodes, 31 schedules, !everyday!!! we have failures, what's up with
that? I came into this system 6 months ago and can count on one hand the
amount of 100% success schedule reports that we have had. One day things
will be good then the next day a couple of failed schedules. I know that
"failed" means that Tivoli didn't backup to 110% to it's satisfaction, and
"success" can mean that you didn't get everything backed up.

OK, let me get off my soapbox, just venting. Is this the norm, or is
everyone else running at 100% success everyday? Wait.., I guess the entries
in this list answers my question.

On the other hand (I am very sincere about this) this list the users and the
archives in it have been a great asset in assisting me work through many
issues and has helped tremendously in the learning process.

Thanks to all,
Mark Bertrand