ADSM-L

Re: Idea for a TSM feature

2002-02-27 13:25:10
Subject: Re: Idea for a TSM feature
From: "Matthew A. Bacchi" <mbacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:22:32 -0500
>The feature that I would like to see is the ability to create a special disk
> storage pool, that would only migrate inactive versions of backup objects to
> the next storage pool.  This would keep all the active versions on disk
> storage.
>
> I'm sure everyone has certain nodes(systems) that are of more importance
> than others.  Could be the CEO's desktop filesystem or a critical server.

James,
Have you considered colocation for the important servers and
management desktop machines?  I understand your point about not
streaming the data as fast as a migration, but if implemented
correctly these systems will each have their own set of tapes, and not
require many tape mounts.  Are you really measuring your restore in
such small increments that 2 or 3 tape mounts is unacceptable?

-Matt