ADSM-L

Re: Where would I begin to answer these questions?

2002-02-25 21:47:43
Subject: Re: Where would I begin to answer these questions?
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:42:55 -0500
Ike,
I have done this a little differently.  What I do is identify all the cost
associated with the backup process, backup servers, additional switch
capacity, disk pools, tape drives, and libraries and add that up to a total
dollar number.  Tapes are figured separately.  This infrastructure will
support so many GB of disk storage on the clients involved, round numbers.
This can be used to calculate a normalized cost/GB on average.  You can play
with the numbers of tapes and amount stored data per node to adjust a client
up or down.  Ultimately, the cost relates to the total number of GBs.  The
tape is adjusted based on the version requirements of the
application/customer.

If you come to Share in Nashville, I will show you how I do this for a tape
library solution.