ADSM-L

TSM - Image Backup on UNIX - any success stories or gotchas to share ?

2002-02-25 18:41:51
Subject: TSM - Image Backup on UNIX - any success stories or gotchas to share ?
From: Kent Monthei <Kent.J.Monthei AT GSK DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 18:38:33 -0500
We have an application that basically just continues to collect documents
in a series of volumes/containers, 1 container at a time, beginning to
end, until the container is full.  Then it "freezes" that container and
moves onto the next.  One container could be >150GB (if we don't argue
hard enough against it), and could contain 10's (maybe 100's) of millions
of extremely small files in a very broad, very deep directory structure.
Over 2 TeraBytes of these containers have been spec'd for this
application.

The overhead of taking a full backup is monumental and is likely to exceed
a backup cycle if performed at the OS filesystem level.  However, since
the "used/full" containers become static and only one container is active
at a time, this seems to be an ideal opportunity to utilize TSM Image
Backup on a just-frozen container.

I'm looking for a few brief success stories on the use of TSM Image Backup
please include time-savings, volume-sizing considerations, and any
problems or precautions regarding image backup........and image restore
(please don't exclude that part of the story!)

-thanks
Kent Monthei
Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline