ADSM-L

Re: Bad performance with FC attached disk and tape

2002-02-21 17:02:58
Subject: Re: Bad performance with FC attached disk and tape
From: Allen Barth <allen_barth AT SCUDDER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:58:46 -0600
Joshua,

I've heard this before, but I couldn't find anyone at IBM to confirm it.
SO.........

I've been running tape and dasd thru the same FC adapter for about a year
now.  Traffic goes from rs6k to an IBM2109 (brocade) switch and then splits
from there.  I suspect the switch is handling the arbirated loop (3590) and
point to point (ess aka shark) communication conversions.

Gotchas?

Al Barth
Zurich Scudder Investments

                    "Joshua S.

                    Bassi"               To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                    <[email protected]       cc:

                    OM>                  Subject:     Re: Bad performance with
FC attached disk and tape
                    Sent by:

                    "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR

                    IST.EDU>

                    02/21/02 12:56

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to "ADSM: Dist

                    Stor Manager"

Not only is sending disk and tape data across the same FC card a bad
idea, I believe IBM doesn't even support that configuration.

--
Joshua S. Bassi
Joshua S. Bassi