ADSM-L

Re: How do you Shred a document from TSM?

2002-02-21 16:21:51
Subject: Re: How do you Shred a document from TSM?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:19:21 -0600
Alex, I cannot agree more strongly. As an IT professional, it has been
the whole end of my exertions to prevent exactly this. I like working
with WDSF/ADSM/TSM because it makes it very hard to lose data.

If you don't want it restored, don't back it up, or perhaps the activity
that those files document (e.g. at Enron) should not take place at all.
But once it's backed up, I as a professional Backup Administrator have a
moral obligation to protect it. I work to protect data against a
multitude of disasters: fire, flood, accidental erasure, building
collapse, software malfunction, equipment failure, computer viruses,
malicious hackers. The Enron debacle has taught us that "Corruption" is
yet another disaster.

But the other part of my responsibility for people's data is to NOT go
pawing through it. The CEO should simply delete his naughty pix,
quietly, and they WILL eventually go away, unnoticed by me, and
protected from anyone else by good security systems. That is, unless
there's a court order, or if he's stupid enough to ask me to shred them,
which brings them to my attention and opens up a whole new moral
Pandora's Box. I hope never to be placed in that position. Even in a
two-key system we really do hold both keys, as the systems programmers.

Technically, it is more difficult than simply erasing and writing over
disks and tapes. You've got to throw the media into a vat of acid. A
magnetic tape or disk can be recovered several generations back. The
answer, "Do nothing and let TSM expire it on its own," is not much
riskier than any extraordinary measures short of that vat of acid, so
why bother?

Thank you, Alex, for raising this thread to a new level - the moral
level.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====