ADSM-L

Re: 4.2 server memory corruption

2002-02-20 16:50:59
Subject: Re: 4.2 server memory corruption
From: "William F. Colwell" <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:48:27 -0500
Tom, you should think seriously about upgrading to 4.2.19.
I have experienced problems like you describe, but not since I went to 4.2.1.6;
since then I have gone up to .9 without problems.

Also, I used to run with region=0m in the JCL for tsm.  While working with level
2 on a problem like what you had, I was told to specify a region size because
during initialization tsm takes some small percent of the region and formats it
as cellpools to avoid getmains and freemains; with region=0m it using a default
which was too small.

The site to download 4.2.1.9 is NOT an anonymous FTP site, you need an id and
password which at one time was listed in the read-me that goes into sanrsamp
during the smp apply, or you can get it from Tivoli support.

At 03:41 PM 2/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>We have a 4.2.0.0 server running under OS/390. We recently started seeing
>increasingly serious performance problems with no obvious cause. The server
>froze up entirely this morning. I had some difficulty shutting it down. The
>server accepted a 'halt' command and generated an 'ANR5963I ADSM server
>termination complete' complete message fairly rapidly. However, the started
>task continued to run, and continued to use large amounts of CPU time, even
>after the message. I finally cancelled the started task. The server came
>back up without incident and is now performing much better. One of my
>co-workers noted that the server had been up for 32 days, which was by far
>the longest stretch of continued uptime since we went to 4.2 (we had
>previously IPLed OS/390 every week or two for reasons unrelated to TSM).
>This raises the suspicion of some kind of memory corruption that causes
>server performance to degrade over time. Is the 4.2.0.0 server known to
>suffer from any problems of this sort?

Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab