ADSM-L

4.2 server memory corruption

2002-02-20 15:44:38
Subject: 4.2 server memory corruption
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:41:59 -0500
We have a 4.2.0.0 server running under OS/390. We recently started seeing
increasingly serious performance problems with no obvious cause. The server
froze up entirely this morning. I had some difficulty shutting it down. The
server accepted a 'halt' command and generated an 'ANR5963I ADSM server
termination complete' complete message fairly rapidly. However, the started
task continued to run, and continued to use large amounts of CPU time, even
after the message. I finally cancelled the started task. The server came
back up without incident and is now performing much better. One of my
co-workers noted that the server had been up for 32 days, which was by far
the longest stretch of continued uptime since we went to 4.2 (we had
previously IPLed OS/390 every week or two for reasons unrelated to TSM).
This raises the suspicion of some kind of memory corruption that causes
server performance to degrade over time. Is the 4.2.0.0 server known to
suffer from any problems of this sort?