ADSM-L

TDP for SQL Differential Backups

2002-02-20 10:28:00
Subject: TDP for SQL Differential Backups
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:21:52 -0500
Hello,

        I have a SQL database that is too large to back up fully on a daily
basis. This is on a development box. I switched to doing a full backup on
Sundays and a differential backup on all other days. Yesterday the
development team requested a restore of the database to the middle of last
week however I found that all differential backups prior to the last FULL
backup (this past Sunday) were gone and I had to put their database back to
the Sunday before last. My question is "Is there a way to keep older
differential backups after a new full backup is completed? (A setting in
TDP?) Alternatively, is there a work-around that will allow me to have done
the restore to the middle of last week?" Would transaction log backups have
worked? If I must I will switch to incremental backups. Will the old
incremental backups also disappear after each full backup as I've seen with
the differential backup?

     Thanks,
         Al

Alan Davenport