ADSM-L

Product Release Install Advice: (Used to be WARNING about Tivoli 4.2.1.0)

2002-02-19 00:16:51
Subject: Product Release Install Advice: (Used to be WARNING about Tivoli 4.2.1.0)
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:12:54 -0500
First of all, BETAs apply to .0 releases before they are released GA or
patches that we never see as they are tested at selected client sites to
verify the fix test works in a customer environment.  These are x.x.x.n
releases are patches on top of the base release, with all inclusive fixes up
to that point that have had limited testing.  That means they have tested
the general area the problem was to fix, but not a GA release test.

The first thing I do before I put anything into production is check to see
what open problems there are that may affect me.  By the time 4.2.1.9 came
out, months had passed since 4.2.1.0 GA.  If I felt scared to put on
4.2.1.9, then I would have but on 4.2.1.8.  4.2.1.8 was a good patch level.
We had been running it for months before we upgraded to 4.2.1.10 just last
week.  We are using all the special features.  So far, the patches to
4.2.1.0 have not introduced any new problems, only fixed problems to my
knowledge.  That is execellent, PE APARS are worse than broken code GA
releases because they could break something that is working and they are
very difficult for the customer to test.  I did see them pull back a Windows
client update not because it broke something, but because it did not
completely fix the problem.  They urged customers to go to the final fix to
the problem if they had installed the 4.2.1.16 fix.

I will admit we have a few problems that Tivoli has not fixed yet, but we
are the only customer experiencing them (or 1 of a few) and Tivoli is very
focused on serving us.  That is why I ask myself if I am wasting their time
going through a dump especially if I am running a code level and there are
50 APARs that have been fixed since the code level went GA.  You want good
support, when you call up and you are current and it is a problem never seen
before, you get attention.

Doug, nothing personal meant by this.  Just trying to get the attention of
everyone that having Tivoli Support focusing time on problems already fixed
is not good for anyone.  Andy should have said it, but he could not because
he is your vendor.  "Give me a problem that I have not already fixed".  The
response you got from Tivoli Support seemed really offbase about 4.2.1.9
being a "BETA".  Poor choice of words on their part.  The correct answer
should have been "Limited Testing Fix Patch 4.2.1.9 is known to fix many
problems.  Please install this and see if the problem is reproducable, you
are experiencing many of the symptoms that have already been fixed".

This all said, prudence is still a good thing.  Just because x.x.x.n just
hit the website does not mean put it on.  If it fixes a problem you are
having, yes.  We are staying very current because we are using a lot of SAN
stuff.  There are still some minor bugs in it.  Tivoli made great strides to
improve the ease with the latest releases to show you what is the latest
patches and maintenance available.  I have seen them hold back for a while
before putting something in the latest directory, yet have it available in
the service site elsewhere.

I will give Tivoli one thing, at least they are trying to fix their bugs and
get a fix out timely.  I cannot say that for any other vendors.  Most of
them say, next release, or nope.

Now for the good news.  Tivoli, based on what I know, is investing a
tremendous amount resources on GA release testing prior to release of a
product.  Why?, to make all of us more comfortable and more problem free.
Code defects are extremely expensive for a company that gives away 1 year
free support.  That in itself says something about their commitment to
quality.  Other vendors just say you do not have a support contract.  When
5.1 arrives I expect them to be much better, or at least I hope.  They were
way behind the eight ball prior to 4.2.1 and probably rushed it to release.
But, much of what they were doing for SAN was not nailed down from a
hardware point of view at the time they were doing their 4.2.1 testing, so
the testing probably suffered a little.

Doug, welcome to a family of folks on this list server that will give you
the straight scoop and some advice, good or bad, that you didn't ask for.
Remember, they only have one goal:  To make every TSM customer successful.
You will also find that bad advice is quickly and politely corrected by each
of us.

Come back soon.  Ask about the problems with a patch, you will get at least

Thanks for bringing this issue to the forefront and getting such a healthy
discussion going on it.  Maybe everyone can learn something.