ADSM-L

Re: RESTORE VOLUMES: other suggestions: a real answer to your que stion

2002-02-17 21:15:39
Subject: Re: RESTORE VOLUMES: other suggestions: a real answer to your que stion
From: "Seay, Paul" <seay_pd AT NAPTHEON DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:11:41 -0500
Gary,
We are also a Veritas NetBackup user.  Thank God TSM has a facility like the
SQL query to search their databases and generate whatever I want already
built in.

I admit I had to learn SQL a few years ago to write a mainframe application
(RMDS extensions) that did some really complex SQL queries.  So, I was quick
to jump on the SQL features of TSM.  It took me about a week to become a
very proficient SQL coder and about another to learn what a stupid SQL query
with inner and outer joins could do to a system if not coded correctly.

There are several inevitabilities in our industry.  One, flat files are a
thing of the past.  Second, every database application being built today is
relational that can do anything.  TSM is a database application unlike any
other storage management product.  As a result you can do things with it
that are not possible with competitive offerings.

So, the third inevitability has arisen.  Systems people that do not retire
soon will be lost without basic SQL knowledge.  You being a MCSE are keenly
aware of this.

Now, I would like to reemphasize what others have said about ODBC since you
are a Microsoft knowledgeable person.  If you install the ODBC driver
(anywhere) you can use ACCESS to link to the TSM tables (do not recommend
import).  If you have any ACCESS background, you know that its filter
information does basicall a select.  You can see those in the log.

The ODBC driver takes all of 5 minutes to install and setup.

Sorry the current QUERY CONTENT command does not support splat for volume.
The QUERY OCC command would help you significantly in your quest if it
supported '*' as valid option for the volume.  However this is what the SQL
would look like:

SELECT volume_name, node_name, filespace_name from contents where
node_name='your node' group by volume_name, node_name, filespace_name order
by volume_name

However, this query takes for ever to run.  So, it is kind of useless.