ADSM-L

Re: TSM subfilebackup

2002-02-15 10:53:46
Subject: Re: TSM subfilebackup
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:51:18 -0500
*       What will happens when someone delete  the tsm_cache folder without
knowing it?   Inside this folder threr are the basefile, the metafile and
the
client_cache_dbfilE

>>      I tried this myself, it does no harm.   The next backup will create
a new basefile instead of a subfile, that's all.        Doesn't affect
restores.  .

*       Is the option to use the adaptive subfilebackup more burden for The
TSM-Server ?     More datavolumes to work with for the server.
>>      In terms of performance/throughput it has actually REDUCED the
workload on our server.  I am using subfile backup on all files for about
350 desktops.  It has reduced the GB per day by 20-25%.  Because the clients
send less data, the client sessions are shorter.  Resulting in fewer
concurrent sessions, so server is less busy.
>>      However, it appears to increase the amount of EXPIRE INVENTORY
objects.  But that runs mostly on the weekend, so it doesn't cause me any
problem.
>>      Consider also what happens if you need to restore a file:  you must
restore a base file PLUS the subfiles to get the most current version.  You
will see this on the client, it says "2 objects restored" (or more!) when
you restore 1 file! So consider what it will do to your restores.  We use
VERY fast tape (STK9840) with collocation, so it doesn't hurt our restore
times.

*       Is a normaly Fullbackup, manually started the same as the server
does when a new basefile will be created?
        Does the creation of a new basefile include the cheking of changed
datas, or does it just overwrite all spaces.

>>      Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking.

*       When I use this kind of backup with more generations, will be placed
for every new generation a new basefile,
        or does realy just the adaptives got newer (so I can use more
generations with less datavolumes) and only just one    basefile?

>>      Version1 is the base file.  Version 2 (when the file changes) sends
just the part of the file that changed.  Version 3 (when the file changes
again) sends just the part of the file that changed.  Same logical versions,
less data sent to the server.

        Simple example:
        Suppose you have a 200 MB file; only 10 MB changes each day.
        Without subfile backup:  5 versions take up 1 GB on the server.
        With subfile backup:  version1 (base file) takes up 200 MB, next 4
incrementals take up 40 MB, total 240 MB on the server.

 Hope that helps!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert

E-Mail: mailto:wolf-christian.luecke AT volkswagen DOT de