ADSM-L

Re: TSM Sendmail and AIX

2002-02-14 06:06:39
Subject: Re: TSM Sendmail and AIX
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:04:10 +0100
> I know this is not a TSM topic but what the hey.
> We currently use AIX sendmail to mail copies of our vault list generated
> from TSM to our off-site tape handler.
> With the recent rash of viruses being sent by email, this company will not
> accept email from a sender they can not do a "reverse DNS lookup" on.
> And they can't do a 'reverse DNS lookup" on the mail they are getting from
> my TSM server.
> Our mail guys,( who are like me and don't know much about sendmail) tell me
> that there should be a way of supplying a from address that is more public
> in the mail we are automatically sending from my TSM AIX server.
> For the life of me I can't find this in any of the manuals I've searched.
>  anyone have any ideas?

Hmmm,

it is possible in sendmail (recent sendmail versions, and you don't want to
use older versions ;) to define a canonical map. This translates the 'from'
header and the 'mail from:' smtp command to whatever you say.

It's more likely a dns problem, not sendmail. Have your dns guys add a reverse
entry for the ip address of you tsm server to it's hostname as it is know in
the dns (canonical name) so if your server is known as buackup.example.com in
the dns with ip of 172.31.0.123 that make sure you also have a reverse entry.
eg.

backup.example.com. IN A 172.31.0.123

and:

172.31.0.123    IN PTR backup.example.com.

This usually solves your kind of problems.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams