ADSM-L

Re: Can you explain: Maxnump and keepmp

2002-02-14 03:04:48
Subject: Re: Can you explain: Maxnump and keepmp
From: MUSTAFA BAYTAR <mustafa.baytar AT EFESPILSEN.COM DOT TR>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:24:26 +0200
Keep Mount Point

Select whether the node should retain the tape mount point for the entire
session.

 Yes     Specifies that the node must retain the tape mount point during the
entire session.

 No      Specifies that the node will release the tape mount point if policy
definitions cause data
         to be stored in a disk storage pool after storing data in a sequential
storage pool. The
         default is No.

Maximum Mount Points Allowed

Enter a number from 0 to 999 to specify the maximum allowed resource usage by
this node. A value of
0 specifies that tape drives cannot be acquired for storage operations. Data
storage operations must
be contained within a disk storage pool and server operations like migration
will manage putting
data on tape. A value of 0 does not prevent a retrieve operation from acquiring
a tape drive. A node
is always allowed to acquire at least 1 tape mount point for the purpose of
data retrieval. Entering
a value other than 0, limits the node to the specified number of tape drives
and prevents the node
from monopolizing all of the available tape drives. This parameter is optional

                       Robert Ouzen

                    <rouzen AT UNIV DOT HA       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                         IFA.AC.IL>       cc:     (bcc: MUSTAFA
BAYTAR/ATIM/ICECEK)
                    Sent by: "ADSM:       Subject:     Can you explain: Maxnump
and keepmp
                          Dist Stor

                           Manager"

                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MARI

                            ST.EDU>

                         14.02.2002

                              08:45

                     Please respond

                     to "ADSM: Dist

                      Stor Manager"

Hi

 Can anyone explain to me very slowly  what the parameters: MAXNUMMP and
KEEPMP means when I define a new NODE.
The default is for MAXNUMMP  1 and for KEEPMP no

I backup first to disk and during the day migrate to tape, just my database
(Sap, Exchange ?) I backup directly to tape.
Did those parameters can affect performance ?.. I made a little test trying
to backup a same node (large client novell 5) once to disk and once to tape.
I got a very big difference on performance , to tape took a very long time.

Any suggestions will be appreciate.

Regards Robert Ouzen
rouzen AT univ.haifa.ac DOT il