ADSM-L

Re: PC Magazine Enterprise Backup Article - NO MENTION OF

2002-02-14 02:49:15
Subject: Re: PC Magazine Enterprise Backup Article - NO MENTION OF
From: "Ilja G. Coolen" <ilja.coolen AT ABP DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 08:45:02 +0100
I feel quite fortunate,

At our site, which is a pension fund, insurance and morgage supplier, we
only backup servers.
The users are required to store the data they want backupped, on the
fileservers.
We also have an SOE on all the client stations in the company. That would be
about 6000 desktops.
If the desktop is corrupted, the user support guy comes along, puts a flop
in the drive, takes a 30 minute coffeebreak or something, and leaves. The
desktop is as good as new. All the data on it will be lost. Company policy.
I like it that way. I don't have to worry about backing up the desktops. The
servers are tough enough.

Our serverpark consists of 140 NT boxes, 50 Aix and 15 Solaris boxes. About
80 NT boxes are fileservers, some 20 printservers ant the rest are servers
running business applications. Which is not such a good idea, if you ask me.
Some of the apps our company runs, require at least 3 NT boxes to run
properly.
Almost all the NT boxes and all Solaris boxes are backupped daily (inc of
course). On the AIX we have many Oracle instances wich are archived at a
daily basis.

This all results in an 26GB database, holding 30+ milion files. Physical
occupancy is 5.4 TB, according to the occupancy table. This is handled by a
single TSM server running on an IBM H80 (RS/6000) with all its diskpools and
database volumes on a shark (ESS). We have a very high expiration rate,
about 60% of the entire site each day.
So, to go along with Kelly, our data moves around a lot. We reclaim our ass
off sort of speak. Thank God for the 3494 libraries.

Note.
In our country, like Eric van Loon the Netherlands, i have never seen TSM
advertisements or marketing. Not even in the business literature. Veritas
and Commvault with the Galaxy product is gaining market over here.....
Tivoli should watch its back. Or it will loose to much market due to lack of
sales marketing.
For what it's worth.

Ilja G. Coolen

  _____

ABP / USZO
CIS / BS / TB / Storage Management
Telefoon         : +31(0)45  579 7938
Fax      : +31(0)45  579 3990
Email    : ilja.coolen AT abp DOT nl <mailto:ilja.coolen AT abp DOT nl>
Intranet
        : Storage Web
<http://intranet/cis_bstb/html_content/sm/index_sm.htm>

  _____

Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film. -