ADSM-L

Re: Large file system on HP-UX

2015-10-04 17:12:13
Subject: Re: Large file system on HP-UX
From: Thomas Denier [mailto:Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
We finally got our problem resolved.

Tivoli support recommended that we upgrade the client from 4.1.2.0 to
4.1.3.0 or 4.2.1.15 to get the fix for APAR IC29368. Tivoli support expected
this to get the backup to run. Earlier ADSM-L postings indicated that the
fix would cause the client to produce an accurate error message when it
failed. I was not particularly surprised when it turned out that ADSM-L was
right and Tivoli support was wrong.

The error message from the 4.1.3.0 client confirmed that we were short of
memory. Tivoli support quoted an estimate of 300 bytes per file from the
developers. On this basis we increased the maximum data segment size to a
gigabyte. We were able to get a successful backup with this amount of
memory.

We ran backups with the incrbydate option after some of the failures. We
thought this would give us acceptable backup coverage until we got the
problem resolved. We were wrong. When the 4.1.3.0 client ran out of memory
it still generated a message reporting a successful incremental backup of
the large file system. The subsequent backup with the incrbydate option
behaved as if there really had been a successful backup, skipping all files
with change dates prior to the end of the failed backup. The 4.1.2.0 also
displayed the message reporting a successful incremental backup in
conjunction with the incorrect 'User abort' message. I strongly suspect that
this led to the same problem with the subsequent use of the incrbydate
option, but I have not been able to prove it.

The memory shortage would have been an inconvenience but not a data
integrity problem if the incrbydate option had worked. In actual fact, we
ended up with a major data integrity exposure because of Tivoli's sloppy
quality control.